We all love our tea in a cup…let’s see how we like it in a bowl? Try these off beat soups with tea leaves to add a little variety to your bowl!
Tom Yum Soup
- 4-6 cups of vegetable stock
- 5 lemon tea bags
- 1 cup Broccoli florets
- ½ cup carrot juliennes
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic
- ¾ tsp crushed chilli
- 3 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4-5 mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3-4 cherry tomatoes
- Cilantro for garnishing
- Optional : Galangal
- Boil the vegetable stock in a pot.
- Add the lemongrass and boil for a couple of minutes.
- Reduce the heat and add broccoli florets, mushroom slices, carrot juliennes, lime leaves, garlic and chilli. Simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Lower the flame and add coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Test the soup for salt and spice, if it tastes too bland, add a little fish sauce, and a little sugar if it turns out to sour.
- Boil till all vegetables are tender and cooked.
- Serve in bowl and garnish with finely chopped cilantro.
- 1 kg pumpkin- deseeded, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon tea leaves
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 scallion greens, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a casserole, cover the pumpkin with the chicken stock and bring to boil. Simmer till pumpkin is cooked.
- When cooked, blend the pumpkin to form a puree.
- Boil water and steep tea for about 5 minutes and strain the leaves.
- Add the pumpkin puree and tea to the casserole, add salt and pepper according to taste and simmer.
- In a pan, add scallions to heated oil and cook till they soften.
Add the soup to a bowl and garnish with scallion greens and serve.
Green tea chicken soup
- Steamed broccoli
- Steamed baby carrots
- Steamed mushrooms, sliced
- Chicken pieces –cooked till soft
- Cooked brown rice
- Sliced green onion
- Tahini sauce
- Ginger minced
- Soy sauce
- In a bowl mix ½ tsp minced ginger, 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tsp tahini.
- Brew green tea in two cups of water.
- Assemble all the vegetables, chicken and rice in the bowl, and add the tahini mixture to the vegetables and pour the brewed green tea till desired consistency is achieved.
- Simmer on medium flame for 4-5 minutes.
Jasmine Chicken soup
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium carrot juliennes
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- ¼ cup ginger juliennes
- 2 tbsp jasmine tea leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups boiled chicken
- 1 tbsp freshly ground coriander seeds
- 250 gram spaghetti
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground pepper according to taste
- ¼ cup mixed chopped parsley, chives and cilantro
Preheat oven to 375oF.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add onions, carrots and ginger. Add salt and pepper according to taste. Cook till vegetables soften.
- Add tea leaves to 3 cups boiling water and steep for 5 minutes.
- Take chicken broth in a pan and strain tea into it. Add salt and bring to simmer.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and dry coriander.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and cook chicken till it turns dark brown. Then transfer the chicken to a preheated oven and bake chicken till it turns opaque.
- Cook the spaghetti, drain and add to bowls. Top with chicken and vegetables and ladle in broth.
- Sprinkle herbs on top and serve.
Tea sure has left us amazed. It can be incorporated in a number of meat dishes and desserts as well; we’ll get back to you with those in a bit! For now, enjoy your bowl of soup!